Poetry: Walt Whitman - To You - One’s-Self I Sing - O Captain! My Captain! - Gallery 30 Photos - Links

Posted by Ricardo Marcenaro | Posted in | Posted on 16:03











To You.
Stranger! if you, passing, meet me, and desire to speak to me, why should you
not speak to me?
And why should I not speak to you? 




 One’s-Self I Sing.

Ones's-self I sing—a simple, separate Person;
Yet utter the word Democratic, the word En-masse.

Of Physiology from top to toe I sing;
Not physiognomy alone, nor brain alone, is worthy for the muse—I say the
Form complete is worthier far;
The Female equally with the male I sing.

Of Life immense in passion, pulse, and power,
Cheerful—for freest action form’d, under the laws divine,
The Modern Man I sing.





 O Captain! My Captain!

1
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

2
O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up-for you the flag is flung-for you the bugle trills;
For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths-for you the shores a-crowding;
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head;
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead.

3
My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The ship is anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;
Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.





Walt Whitman - Camden 1891


Walt Whitman - Early 1860's




Walt Whitman 1848-60


Walt Whitman 1864


Walt Whitman 1872  



Walt Whitman 1875


Walt Whitman 1878 by George C. Cox


Walt Whitman 1878 by Napoleon Sarony


Walt Whitman 1890 with Warren Fritzinger, Whitman's last and favorite nurse - by Dr. John Johnston, Bolton, England


Walt Whitman 1891 by Thomas Eakins


Walt Whitman 1891 Camden by Dr. William Reeder, Philadelphia


Walt Whitman 1891 Camden by Thomas Eakins, Philadelphia


Walt Whitman and Bill Duckett


Walt Whitman and Bill Duckett


Walt Whitman at about fifty


Walt Whitman by Mathew Brady




Walt Whitman in Philadelpia 1889 by Frederick Gutekunst


Walt Whitman Later 1860's


Walt Whitman nude - Early to mid-1880s - by Thomas Eakins


Walt Whitman photographed by Thomas Eakins




Walt Whitman probably 1889 by William Kuebler, Jr., or Louis H. Kuebler of Kuebler Photography











Walt Whitman with Harry Stafford 1878 by Augustus Morand


Walt Whitman with Peter Doyle around 1869







Thanks to: http://www.whitmanarchive.org/


 
Español:

English:
 





Poetry: Walt Whitman - To You - One’s-Self I Sing -  O Captain! My Captain! - Gallery 30 Photos - Links




Ricardo M Marcenaro - Facebook

Blogs in operation of The Solitary Dog:
Solitary Dog Sculptor:
http://byricardomarcenaro.blogspot.com
Solitary Dog Sculptor I:
http://byricardomarcenaroi.blogspot.com

Para:
comunicarse conmigo,
enviar materiales para publicar,
propuestas comerciales:
marcenaroescultor@gmail.com
For:
contact me,
submit materials for publication,
commercial proposals:
marcenaroescultor@gmail.com


My blogs are an open house to all cultures, religions and countries. Be a follower if you like it, with this action you are building a new culture of tolerance, open mind and heart for peace, love and human respect.

Thanks :)

Mis blogs son una casa abierta a todas las culturas, religiones y países. Se un seguidor si quieres, con esta acción usted está construyendo una nueva cultura de la tolerancia, la mente y el corazón abiertos para la paz, el amor y el respeto humano.

Gracias :)






Comments (0)

Publicar un comentario